I have been a full-time freelance editor for 13 years. During that time I have edited 120 books and more than 860 articles, continuing education courses, white papers, blog posts, and other materials for book publishers, corporations, associations, trade magazines, and private authors. I have also proofread 27 books. Several books I edited received recognition, including a gold medal in the Independent Publisher Book Awards. In my previous corporate life I wrote and edited hundreds of proposals and other documents. My dedication to excellence earns consistent praise from my clients.
- Allied health
- Criminal justice
- Human resources
- Materials science
- Nonfiction trade
- Public health
- Provide freelance editing services to book publishers, trade magazines, associations, corporations, and private authors. Services include copyediting, substantive editing, developmental editing, manuscript evaluation, proofreading, and self-publishing.
- Follow house style guides, The Chicago Manual of Style, the AMA Manual of Style, the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association, The Associated Press Stylebook, and other required style books and reference works.
- Use Microsoft Word (expert level), Adobe Acrobat, and other software as required.
- Copyedit for grammar, spelling, punctuation, clarity, accuracy, consistency, and style while maintaining the author’s voice. Check facts and website URLs.
- Copyedit translations from German, French, Finnish, and other languages.
- Edit and rewrite for organization, logic, and flow.
- Analyze manuscripts and provide feedback regarding content gaps, extraneous material, structure, and level of edit needed.
- Ensure correct placement and textual descriptions of figures, tables, boxes, and exhibits.
- Format footnotes, endnotes, references, bibliographies, and glossaries.
- Typecode manuscripts using design codes, Word styles, and house software.
- Communicate and maintain collaborative relationships with production staff and authors.
- Performed developmental editing, copyediting, and proofreading of proposals, advertising copy, marketing collateral, press releases, software documentation, presentations, conference proceedings, white papers, sales materials, business plans, procedures, and other documents.
- Devised and enforced writing and publication schedules and managed production activities for commercial, municipal, and federal proposals up to 1,200 pages and $10 million.
- Created a house style guide for use in proposals and sales documents.
- Developed complex Word templates for proposals and manuals.
- Interviewed subject matter experts, then wrote and edited proposal sections for repeat use; ensured consistency across all sections; maintained continual updates as technology evolved.
- Tracked project requirements and progress and focused team efforts to meet deadlines.
- Managed teams of writers, sales directors, engineers, project managers, operations managers, cost estimators, contract administrators, subcontractors, and others to develop proposals.
- Conducted proposal strategy and proposal development meetings.
Education and Memberships
- BA summa cum laude, communication; Regis University; Denver, Colorado
- Member, Copyediting.com
- Editing Figures and Tables (Copyediting.com, 2016)
- Grammar 1: I Should Know This, But . . . (Copyediting.com, 2015)
- Successful Self-Publishing from Both Sides (Editorial Freelancers Association, 2014)
- Colorado Creative Industries Summit (2014)
- Developmental Editing as a Skill and a Business (Editorial Freelancers Association, 2012)
- Chicago 16: What’s New? (Editcetera, 2011)
- December 2005—Present: Freelance editor
- October 2001—November 2005: Proposal manager, Sanborn Map Company
- August 2000—July 2002: Freelance editor
- October 1997—July 2000: Proposal writer and proposal manager, Smallworld Systems